Having a basic knowledge of your potential employer’s business will demonstrate your motivation to join this company as well as your professionalism. It will help you better understand the position you applied for and demonstrate your suitability. Below are 5 things you should check about the company before going to your interview.
1) Company Information: You should know the company’s name, address, phone number, point of contact, any information on the management team such as who the president is and so forth.
2) Mission Statement, Philosophy, & Goals of the Company: Knowing what the company stands for will help better understand what type of team members they are recruiting. You should feel comfortable with the company culture, and if so, this will help you define which personality traits your recruiters are looking for.
You may also research the current objectives of the company and any upcoming milestone. Understanding where the company is heading and showing your career objective can align with this will be a value added to your interview.
3) What the Company Does: Before going in for an interview you should know what the company actually does. This may sound obvious, but make sure you clarify any obscure jargon you encountered during your research before going to your interview. This means you should be able to make a clear and concise summary of what type of services the company offers, or what products it sells.
4) Company Clients: What type of clients does the company serve is very important when applying for a job. Prepare specific examples taken from your own experience dealing with this type of customers to show your fit with the company.
5) What the Position is & What it Requires: Understanding what the position is and what will be expected is important as well. This will offer you the opportunity to show what you can bring to the company and how you can contribute to its success.
You may also take this chance to prepare questions about the position (what would be the objectives and main challenges faced in the first year of the tenure). You can also prepare ideas on how to make the position more effective if you plan accordingly.
Depending on your career objective and the time you can spare doing your research, there are many ways for you to stand out from the other applicants.
First, you should check the company information by going online and checking the company website. Nothing however prevents you from doing a little more research online to find related business articles about the industry and specific challenges currently faced by some competitors.
Finally, taking part into forums, exhibitions, fairs or networking events will enable you to meet new people and share opinions and experience about this industry.
All you need to do is take an interest in the company itself. The more research you will have done, the more ideas you will have to share during the interview; this kind of interest will surely set you apart from the rest of the applicants.